I really like cream of mushroom soup. So I thought one day I would make it. I searched for it online and I found an awesome recipe, I halfed it and modified it. This recipe serves 4 people easily. When you add the wine, it tastes like those sauted mushrooms you can get in some nice resturants. Without the wine its like a herb and mushroom kind of soup and its really good. Its hard to say which one is better, but if you're making it for lunch, or you're not into fancy food, then leave the wine out. If you like a little exotic flavors or you're serving it with supper, then try adding it.
If you find it too creamy, or you are on a diet, then substitute the cream for half and half, or just put in half a cup of cream and half a cup of water instead.
1/4 cup of butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound of mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 pound of mushrooms, roughly chopped
3 cups water
1 cup of whipping cream
1 Tbsp wine, such as sherry, port or madeira � or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped or dried parsley and basil to taste. (about 1/2 tsp of each)
Beef bulion cubes of your choice, enough for 2 cups broth.
1. Melt butter in soup pot on medium low heat.
2. Add onions. Stir in butter to coat.
3. Add mushrooms, pepper, basil and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add flour in a bit at a time, stirring it in as you do to help prevent lumps.
5. Add water a bit at a time, stirring as you do to prevent lumps. After enough broth has been added to make everything liquid, add the rest of the broth.
6. Add OXO packages
7. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or so. This will allow the flour to thicken the soup somewhat.
8. Add the cream. Gently simmer the soup without boiling for about ten minutes to allow the flavors to mix completely.